For battery service on model year 2020 and newer Slingshot models, see your Slingshot Dealer. Do NOT remove the battery yourself. Incorrect installation and/or removal of the battery is a shock hazard and could result in serious injury or death.
Always keep battery terminals and connections free of corrosion. If cleaning is necessary, remove corrosion with a terminal brush. Wash with a solution of one tablespoon baking soda and one cup water. Rinse well with tap water and dry off with clean shop towels. Coat the terminals with dielectric grease or petroleum jelly. Be careful not to allow cleaning solution or tap water into a conventional battery. Batteries will self-discharge more quickly when dirty.
Whenever the vehicle is not used for a period of one month or more, have the battery removed by a Slingshot Dealer, ensure that it’s fully charged and store it out of the sun in a cool, dry place. Check battery voltage each month during storage and recharge as needed to maintain a full charge.
1. Have the battery removed by an authorized dealer.
2. Clean the battery terminals first with a wire brush to remove any loose deposits.
3. Wash the posts and the ends of the battery cables with a solution of one part baking soda to 16 parts water. Rinse with clean water and wipe dry.
4. Apply a thin film of dielectric grease to the posts and cable connectors.
5. Clean the outside of the battery with a solution of mild detergent and warm water.
6. Store the battery in a dry area with a temperature of 32° to 90° F (0° to 32° C).
7. While in storage, fully charge the battery once a month.
AGM Battery Charging
The following battery charging instructions apply only to the installation of a sealed battery. Read all instructions before proceeding with the installation of this battery.
The sealed battery is already filled with electrolyte and has been sealed and fully charged at the factory. Never pry the sealing strip off or add any other fluid to this battery.
The single most important thing about maintaining a sealed battery is to keep it fully charged. Since the battery is sealed and the sealing strip cannot be removed, you must use a voltmeter or multimeter to measure DC voltage. Polaris recommends using a BatteryMINDer® 2012 AGM - 2 AMP (part number 2830438) charger, which can be ordered through your dealer or online.
Nominal voltage is 12.8 volts when fully charged. If the voltage falls below 12.5 volts, charge it immediately, or the battery runs the risk of sulfation.
|State of Charge
|None, check monthly
|May need slight charge, if no charge given, check in 2 weeks
|At least 13 hours
|12.0 volts or less
|At least 20 hours
|*Using AGM specific charger @ standard amps specified on top of battery
Battery Charge Port
To make it easier for you to quickly charge the starter battery, your Slingshot is equipped with a Battery Charge Port. The Battery Charge Port is located between the seats. A maintenance charger can be purchased through your authorized Polaris Slingshot dealer.
1. Following the charger manufacturer’s instructions, use a battery charger designed for use with 12-volt AGM-style batteries. The charger should have a maximum charging rate of 1.8 amps. Charge the battery for approximately 10 hours at a rate of 1.8 amps. If you use a taper or trickle charger, it will take longer to charge the battery.
2. After charging the battery, allow the battery to sit 1-2 hours before checking the state of charge with a DC volt meter. The charge should be a minimum of 12.5 DC volts. Repeat the charging cycle if the charge is less than 12.5 DC volts. Replace the battery if it fails to reach 12.5 volts after the second charge.
Caution: Before connecting a battery charger to the Battery Charge Port, ensure the vehicle has cooled to ambient temperature. Do not allow cables to rest on hot or sharp surfaces while charging.
Also be aware that battery electrolyte is poisonous. It contains sulfuric acid, and contact with skin, eyes or clothing can result in serious burns. For external exposure, flush with water. For internal exposure, drink large quantities of water or milk. Follow with milk of magnesia, a beaten egg or vegetable oil. Call a physician immediately. Flush eyes with water for 15 minutes and get prompt medical attention.
Batteries produce explosive gases. Keep sparks, flame, cigarettes, etc. away. Ventilate when charging or using in an enclosed space. Always shield eyes when working near batteries. Keep out of reach of children.
For help with the battery on your 2019 and older Slingshot, read Battery Maintenance for Model Year 2019 and Older Slingshot.
For more information, see your authorized Slingshot Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.
Batteryminder® is a registered trademark of VDC Electronics Inc.
Unless noted, trademarks are the property of Polaris Industries Inc.
© 2023 Polaris Industries Inc.