Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Oil Filter Wrench
- Torque Wrench
- 15mm Socket
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
When changing the oil on your model year 2019 and older Polaris Slingshot, always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves. Always check and change the oil at the intervals outlined in the Periodic Maintenance Chart in your Owner's Manual. To change the oil and filter, do the following:
1. Park the vehicle on a flat, level surface.
2. Lock the parking brake.
3. Start the engine and allow it to warm up at idle for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stop the engine.
5. If needed, safely elevate the vehicle to gain access to the engine oil drain plug. Reference your Owner’s Manual for proper lifting techniques. Important: Ensure the vehicle is level before continuing.
6. Remove the oil cap.
7. Loosen the oil filter cap using an oil filter wrench to allow the pressurized oil to drain into the oil pan.
8. Place a drain pan under the engine crankcase. Tip: Place a rag in the bottom of the drain pan to prevent splashing of oil.
9. Using a 15mm socket, remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain completely. Caution: Hot oil can cause burns to skin. Do not allow hot oil to contact skin.
10. Remove the oil filter cartridge and properly dispose of the old oil filter.
11. Lubricate the O-ring on the new oil filter cap.
12. Install a new oil filter in the vehicle. Torque to 16 ft-lbs (22 Nm), using the oil filter wrench.
13. Inspect the drain plug, washer and sealing surfaces. Clean the sealing surfaces and reinstall. Torque to 18 ft-lbs (24 Nm). Notice: The sealing surfaces on the drain plug and crankcase should be clean and free of burrs, nicks or scratches.
14. Fill the engine with 5 quarts (4.8 liters) of oil through the oil fill cap.
15. Reinstall the oil fill cap.
16. Shift into neutral and start the engine. Allow it to idle for 1-2 minutes.
17. Stop the engine.
18. Inspect for leaks.
19. Check the oil level. Add oil as needed to bring the level to the upper mark on the dipstick.
20. Wipe up any residual oil that may have collected on vehicle components.
21. Dispose of the used filter and oil properly.
Resetting the Oil Change Interval
After changing the oil and filter, reset the oil change life on the Ride Command display, if your vehicle is equipped with one.
To do so, follow these steps:
1. Access the drop-down menu by touching the Slingshot logo at the top of the display.
2. Touch the SETTINGS button.
3. Select the VEHICLE menu.
4. Touch the OIL LIFE/SERVICE RESET button.
5. Confirm that you wish to reset the oil life.
For more information, see your authorized Slingshot Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.