Required Tools and Supplies:
- Shop Rags
- Safety Glasses
- Nitrile Gloves
- Spark Plugs
- 10mm Socket
- 5/8-Inch Spark Plug Socket
- Torque Wrench
For more information on tools, read Tools and Fasteners Guide.
Always wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when servicing your Slingshot. To inspect and replace the spark plugs on your model year 2019 and older Slingshot with the 2.4-liter engine, follow these steps:
1. Allow the engine to cool completely on a flat, level surface. Ensure the parking brake is set.
2. Push the hood release handle down to release the hood latch and lift back to open the hood.
3. Unplug the spark plug wire connectors from the ignition coils.
4. Remove the ignition coil fasteners with a 10mm socket.
5. Pull the ignition coils up past the seal and remove.
6. Carefully break the spark plugs loose. Remove with a 5/8-inch spark plug socket with an extension.
7. Inspect the electrodes for wear and carbon buildup. The spark plugs should have a sharp outer edge with no rounding or erosion on the electrodes.
8. If necessary, replace with the recommended spark plug, part number 12625058. Severe engine damage may occur if the incorrect spark plug is used.
9. Install the spark plugs fully by hand.
10. Then torque to 15 ft-lbs (20 Nm).
11. Next, install the ignition coils and push down to ensure they are fully seated.
12. Then install the coil fasteners. Torque to 7 ft-lbs (9 Nm).
13. Reconnect the spark plug wires to the ignition coils and ensure they are secure.
14. Close the hood by pivoting toward the vehicle and allowing it to drop. Ensure all four latch points are properly secured.
15. Finally, start the engine and ensure there are no warning lights present.
For more information, see your authorized Slingshot Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.