The following Vehicle Break-In information can also be seen in your Owner's Manual.
The break-in period for your vehicle is the first 500 miles (800km) of operation. During this break-in period, critical engine parts require special wear-in procedures so they seat and mate properly. Read, understand and follow all break-in procedures to ensure the long-term performance and durability of your engine.
Engine and Drivetrain Break-In
Notice: Failure to properly follow the engine break-in procedures outlined in this manual can result in serious damage to the engine. Follow all break-in procedures carefully. Avoid full-throttle operation and other conditions that may place an excessive load on the engine during the break-in period.
1. Fill the fuel tank with gasoline. Heed the fuel warnings found in your Owner's Manual.
2. Check the oil level. See your Owner's Manual. Add the recommended oil as needed to maintain the oil level between the safe and add marks.
3. Vary speed. Do not drive at a constant speed, whether fast or slow. Do not drive at sustained idle.
4. Avoid full-throttle starts and do not drive at full throttle.
5. Do not exceed 70mph (113km/h).
6. Avoid the use of downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle.
7. Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322km).
8. Perform regular checks on fluid levels, controls and areas outlined on the daily pre-ride inspection checklist found in your Owner's Manual.
9. Change both the engine oil and filter at 500 miles (800km).
For more information, see your authorized Slingshot Dealer. Find a dealer near you with the Dealer Locator.
Maintenance tips, procedures and specifications can be found in your Owner's Manual.
To find diagrams and replacement part numbers, use the online parts catalog.